Thursday, August 30, 2007

Animal Mascots

While my friend Travis works on the cutting edge of physics where high frequency meets thermodynamics, I am content to putter along in the field of entomology.

The official mascot of Flanders is the lion, of Wallonia, the cock. I think they should be the spider and the slug because those are the most common forms of wildlife around here. I have never seen such a spidery country. We have one who insists on building a web on our mailbox. After we knocked it down a dozen times and she rebuilt it within a couple of hours, we gave up. Bad move: now there are about four webs there. Although now that she's got a web partially covering the mail slot itself, it's easier to tell if the mailman has actually put anything in there. And the other day I swear that one started a web between the brake levers on my bike while I was riding it. I'm slow, but not that slow.

No comments: