Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Fastest ride ever

Ya know, that drafting thing I'm always hearing about really works. Tonight on my bike I tucked in behind a tractor towing a hay baler. It was pretty easy pedaling for a couple of kilometers. In fact, as I was coming back on the same road, without a baler to help, I realized that I was riding about 3 kph slower, headed slightly downhill, than I had been uphill--but behind my baler. Of course, going out I was fresher--and a little more motivated by the second tractor towing a second baler riding right behind me.

Or maybe he was drafting off me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Either you are real slow on the bike, or your Belgian tractors are fast! Who else?....donald

Pop said...

Hey, doesn't drafting only work at high speeds? It's been a long time since I studied physics but I seem to recall somesomething about wind resistance and it probbaly doesn't work at 6 or 9 mph. Oh well, it's an interesting idea.