Thursday, May 13, 2010

Marketing a seed

I don't know why, but this stuff fascinates me. This, dear readers, is the plant that produces what you know as canola oil. It's English name is rapeseed, which is hard to market of course, so the Canadians decided to call it canola, an abbreviation for Canadian oil, low acid. This particular field is outside Tours, in France's Loire Valley (slogan - "It's not just about the wine and the châteaux anymore"). driving through central France and much of Germany, you see vast fields of yellow when it's blooming in the spring. It's gorgeous. Years ago, when I asked a Frenchman what it was, he said that it was commonly referred to as mustard. Turns out it is related to mustard. And to turnips and to broccoli.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have this in the pastures (and some lawns)here in the US. Yes, it is a mustard. In fact we grow a variety called mustard greens and eat them. Mustard greens are considered very healthy for you by the medical field. It is the hamhocks or bacon fat the greens are cooked in that the Dr.'s aren't thrilled about. Go figure. Even though I have to avoid the pig, it is the most complete and perfect meat in the world. I miss it....donald

Pop said...

I can go to bed now that I have learned that canola oil is really rape (a form of mustard). I relly did not know that.
Pop