Tuesday, July 26, 2011

My Personal War Against Chinese Products

Alternate title: reducing the trade deficit one item at a time.

Last night I went to Target to pick up a few items and found myself consciously choosing NOT to buy two items made in China. I've long been put off by reports of Chinese products that contain stuff that's bad for you, or even lethal. I've rejected kitchenware made in China for fear of potential lead poisoning. But up until last night I hadn't really decided to make a real effort to choose non-Chinese products as a matter of course. So I spent considerably more on a cosmetic item by selecting the American product (hey, it was Neutrogena - that's a no brainer) and got what are most likely superior, name-brand Irish-made toothbrush heads rather than the Target-brand item made in China.

We have disposable income, so it's easy for me to choose to spend more to not buy Chinese. Still, if everyone made just a little bit of an effort to consider alternatives, maybe together we could make a dent in that massive trade deficit.

1 comment:

Chinese Products said...

Wonderful blog. Thanks for sharing. Keep posting please.