Monday, May 26, 2008

The Anglican Report

Yesterday my little Anglican congregation had a day-o-Charles Wesley (on purpose; it happens every now and then by accident in the Methodist world). All four hymns were by CW: "Christ, whose glory fills the skies,""Soldiers of Christ, arise," "Gracious Spirit, Holy Ghost," and "Tell out my soul, the greatness." Of course, by this point in my relationship with the Parish of the Good Shepherd, I'd be disappointed if we didn't sing a couple of hymns to unfamiliar or unexpected tunes. I was not disappointed; I think only the first was to the tune I'm used to.

This all happened because Saturday was the 270th anniversary of John Wesley's Aldersgate experience. I missed it completely, but the Church of England had a celebration of the Wesley brothers, and Padre used that and the music as a springboard for a nice little ecumenical sermon.

Speaking of ecumenism, it was Corpus Christi in the Roman Catholic world. Rita's church prayed for the day when all believers could share together in the Body and Blood of Christ. You'll be relieved to know that they did not go completely crazy and invite the non-Catholics to the Table, though.

No comments: