Saturday, November 15, 2008

This is how I buy my fish at the Carrefour, a French megaeverything supermarket chain. We have one in Mons. They make a heat-sealed paper and foil bag for every order and adjust the size for the amount of fish you tell them you want. This bag has pangasius in it. We eat a lot of that because it's mild and Rita isn't crazy about fish and it's readily available all over Europe. It's also tasty. It's farm-raised Vietnamese catfish, though if you look it up in a French-English dictionary you get some whacky translation like "shark catfish."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Until I enlarged the picture, it looked like a fish wearing sunglasses. At least I was amused for a moment.

Anonymous said...

Hey, something I know about finally! This is how I buy fish at Lowe's food store here in America. A mega-regional grocery chain in NC. The Garner store even has gas now! My bag contains shrimp, or scallops, or talapia usually. A tasty whitefish that I have no idea how to translate in French. Bags are cool though, huh?....donald