Saturday, March 14, 2009

Kitchen centerpiece

This is my friteuse, or deep-fat fryer. Note that it's built in. I've been using it since we got here to make french fries (frites), but I've been cheating and buying frozen fries. Last night, though, I made fresh frites, using Belgian potatoes labeled as special for frites.

Frites are a very big deal in Belgium, which is probably where they originated. While there is another story that they were invented in Paris, that's probably just the French being French. (One of my junior year abroad French friends once claimed that turkeys were French.) Interestingly, though, even most of the French credit Belgium with having invented the frite. The french in french fries was probably a reference to the way they're cut into long thin strips, known as frenching. It was originally frenched fries and simplified into french fries, just like iced tea is now ice tea and tossed salad is becoming toss salad and cole slaw is…well cole was always cole slaw.

3 comments:

travis said...

Built-in deep fat fryers... so much we've lost in the name of "progress".

Anonymous said...

And having tasted even the frozen fries made in that fryer, and I can only imagine the fresh ones tasting even better! That was one of my (many) favorite things about the kitchen!

Anonymous said...

You mean frites were not invented at McDonald's?