Tuesday, September 29, 2009

We went to Amsterdam for my birthday weekend, and we each got to do something fun and Dutch. I ate herring, and Rita took a bike ride along the Amstel river. I went on the bike ride too. Rita did not eat the herring. I bought it at a little stand that was doing a brisk business. At the last minute I was tempted by the fried version but decided to stick with the lightly pickled one. It was delish! As is always the case with tasty food, the secret is fat.

On Saturday morning we rented those big black Dutch bikes and rode through town and south to Oudekerk aan de Amstel. The dedicated bike paths and lanes were great, but the bike! Woof! Think of trying to pedal a Ford Excursion stuck in low gear and you're about there. Now I know why the Dutch ride these things at breakneck speeds: to make it easier to climb the bazillions of little hills that are canal bridge.

No comments: