Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Not exactly nonaggression

Let me start by saying that Belgian drivers have plenty of flaws. I liked driving there in some ways, but not in others. They tend to tailgate a lot, even at crazy high speeds. But in general I feel more pressure on the roads here in the Balto-Wash Corridor. I was thinking that, even with the tailgating there, the style of driving here was more aggressive. But I've decided that that's not exactly it. Corridorians are not so much aggressive as competitive. It's like a big contest in which you lose points for letting someone in front of you or being passed or leaving a hole unfilled. Relax, people. I'm driving this slow because there's a line of cars in front of me that stretches to the Capitol steps. Getting ahead of me gains you nothing. Well, I mean except points in this game I'm obviously losing.

3 comments:

Pop said...

Interesting observation and comparison of driving habits.

Gene Heyler said...

Must be a big city thing. My college roommate from Boston couldn't understand why, in small town PA, two lanes of cars stopped at a redlight would have largely different numbers of cars in each lane. There might be seven cars stopped in the right lane, but only two in the left lane waiting for the light to change. This annoyed him to no end, and he complained about it for months. Those lines had to be nearly equal, he declared.

G

David said...

interesting. then maybe it's only big city traffic that abhors a vacuum.