Monday, April 2, 2007

Long days and longer nights

While David scampers down the autobahn in his zippy little VW Polo, I'm back at the Hautrage Hotel getting ready for our next batch of guests. We discovered long ago that entertaining is the best incentive for cleaning, and that axiom still holds true. The downstairs is shaping up and the upstairs will be fine as soon as the parquet guy gets done with the floor in the master bedroom. He made remarkable progress today - replaced the rotten floorboards and sanded the entire room (except for the alcove - guess the insurance won't pay for that...). The process is supposed to take 3 days so I'm hoping to start moving stuff in that room before David gets back with our guests.

It's staying light here until well after 8:00 PM. Tonight I opened all the doors in the kitchen while I did the dishes. I did not, however open the bedroom window. Because last night I opened it and thought I'd never get it closed again. And flying things kept buzzing me all night. Hence the long night. No knight in shining armor to ward off the evil spirits because he's up there in Germany doing obscene speeds in his VW Fiesta...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

who's coming to stay with you?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're dealing with the absence of Sir Gallahad very well. You should be thnkful that the buzzing things were not there during the truly long winter nights or you would really have had a l-o-o-n-n-g-g night. Come to think of it, the flying critters would probably be hibernating in winter so it wouldn't be a problem.