Monday, March 26, 2007

Boxes and more boxes

Everyone warned us about this but I guess it's one of those experiences you just have to have for yourself - the "why the heck did we bring this crap?" experience. Even though we brought "only" 9200 pounds of stuff and have a huge house, we're still wondering where to put it all. (While we don't seem to have shipped a bag of garbage, like some folks warned us about, I did find a rusty razor blade carefully wrapped in paper...)

The living and dining rooms are pretty much done, if you ignore the boxes of stuff we don't have room for (table linens, candles). Sarah's room is almost done and looks good enough to sleep in. Wait, Becky already has, so I guess it must be OK...the guest room needs just a few more things as well. The rest of the house, though, is pretty much a mess. I scored a moral victory this afternoon when I unpacked the box that held my desk calendar - now I can go to work tomorrow and start making my to-do list and listing my meetings where I'll actually be able to find them again. ...

David will be on a business trip next week, so I'll have some long evenings to try to get the house in order for our next batch of company coming in for Easter.

Most of our possessions arrived intact. All of my china and glasses came through fine. One of our dining room chairs, however, is busted - and not the one Rachel broke a spindle out of years ago. The rest of the broken stuff is just minor, so far. But there are many boxes to go...

Other news:

We now have SHAPE license plates on our car and SHAPE driver's licenses, so we are bona fide Shapians.

We finally found a decent little grocery store not too far from Hautrage, and it's even open Sunday mornings.

The European washer is a demon with a mind of its own. We have to be careful how we load it so it doesn't tear itself away from its connections and spew water all over the garage. (No, that hasn't happened yet ...)

The floor guy will be here next week to repair the damaged floor in the master bedroom. We're hoping it doesn't take too long because right now we're sleeping in what will eventually be the study.

Still waiting for the humongo TV to come in. I'm suffering from Law and Order withdrawal.

We can sit in our living room and watch barges sail along the canal.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear that you are "settling in." The tons of boxes and stuff results from lack of experience in moving over the past thrity or so years -- not that experience makes it any better. It just prepares you for the shock.

How much do you think it cost the government to pack and ship that rusty razor blade? Translation government = taxpayer.

It's a;so good to know that you are Shapians.

Take care.

Love,

Pop

Anonymous said...

excuse me, you let becky sleep in my bed? doesn't she have her own? guh.

Anonymous said...

Calendar? What happened to Outlook and postette notes? Exactly what does SHAPE stand for again?

Auntie Punk