Thursday, April 24, 2008

I'll tell ya what won't work

I've heard commentators suggest that the US drastically raise gasoline taxes as a way to discourage consumption, thereby reducing our dependence on imported oil, cutting greenhouse gas emissions, and putting the Orioles back atop the American League. While I'm in favor of all those things, raising gasoline taxes will not accomplish them. We were in the Netherlands today and spent several hours sitting in some of the worst traffic jams I've ever seen anywhere. So I'm here to tell you that not one single Dutchman is staying home just because his gas costs $9 a gallon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...tax gasoline. I think we've done that. The gov't may have missed their window of opportunity though. Gas is rising at 3 cents a gallon per day (except Sunday) so they may have to wait until it tops out. I suggest we tax the profits of the oil companies. X % per $ of profit. Exxon will just pass it on to us anyway so we won't notice. $9 a gallon you say....at least I know where we're headed....donald