Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Biker nation

I've been talking a lot about cycling lately, but it's the season. (The Flèche Wallonne is tomorrow!) But this post is about ordinary cyclists.

Belgians are very much at ease on their bikes. I imagine the Dutch and the Danes are too, but I don't live there, so I'm not writing about them. It starts at an early age. Last summer I was crossing the canal bridge near our house and saw a young teenaged girl and her little brother who had stopped to watch something go by on the canal. When they were done, they got back on their bikes and headed out. She pedaled a few feet then sat up and let go of the handlebars. I think she was eating candy or an ice cream. She rode down the bridge sidewalk, shifted off the sidewalk into the street, rode 50 meters, hit a cobblestone intersection, turned and headed down a side street. All without hands.

And her mother probably would not have warned that she could put her eye out doing that.

1 comment:

Pop said...

Think how lucky you were with your bike riding as a kid. By the way, do you remember how many bikes we had in the family?