Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Weirdest walk ever

Rita and I took a walk this afternoon, as usual. But that's where the usual ended. First there was the cute little kid and mom (yes, they were both cute--in fact she was so blond pony-tailed soccer girl cute that we thought she was an American) who were walking past the sheep pen, and for some ovine reason all the sheep decided they would start bleating and run over there to see the kid. Then a couple kilometers later, we saw this little runt lamb we've been tracking for a couple of weeks (we think we first saw him only hours after he was born) who had somehow gotten through the fence and was running back and forth trying to get back in where Mommy was. We stopped at my poultry lady's place to ask if they were her sheep. I know she has sheep because we'd talked about them before, but these weren't hers. She assured us the little fellow would eventually find his way back in. "Finding holes in the fence is their specialty," was the way she put it. Okay, next I kept going while Rita peeled off to go home, and all the goats at the house up the street had wandered outside their fence and all decided to follow me. A couple of teenaged boys on a scooter rode by and yelled, "Hey, he's stealing the goats!" Whitey, Momma, Buttspot, and Gert gave up fairly quickly, but Daddy followed me for several hundred meters, bleating and shoving his head against the back of my leg. I think he just wanted attention. Then while I was watching an empty barge pass a laden barge in the large (which means "the wide" in French, not "the big"), this enormous Newfoundland (I know: Is there any other kind?) who had been swimming in the canal (gag!) ran up to me and jumped on me. After that I made it home without much incident.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just how many beers DID you have after Rita "peeled" off for home?

donald

Rita said...

I wished I had a camera, watching David the goatherd heading down the path with Daddy, Momma, and Gert following him. (Gert and Buttspot are the babies, who were born right around Christmas Day and are now almost as big as Momma.)

R.

Anonymous said...

Dr. Doolittle I presume? I had no idea. Oliver & Emma will be soooooo excited to spend time with you!

DeeAnne