Tuesday, August 26, 2008

How to learn a foreign language

No matter how much time you spend in a classroom, they can't teach you everything you need to know. You have to get out there and do stuff. Combined, Rita and I have spent close to a century studying French, yet every time we have a different situation we learn something. Today we went to the jeweler in Ath (cute town!) to have Rita's engagement ring repaired. She caught it on something boarding a train in Germany, and it's really messed up. So we learned that the setting is l'ensemble and a prong is une griffe, which also means a claw. At this rate I should be pretty fluent in a couple of decades.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

C'est bon!

felicity & nathaniel said...

I am such a geek. You left me wanting even MORE jewelry vocab, so I visited this site:

http://membres.lycos.fr/clo7/grammaire/joaillerie.htm

I'll forget it all by tomorrow, of course. :)

Nathaniel