Monday, August 4, 2008

A Multicutural Moment

On our way to Germany this weekend (more later), we were listening to a German radio station while driving through France, and they played a French country and western song entitled Sur la route de Memphis -- On the road to Memphis. It was a trucker song. It made me think of the first French trucker song I ever heard in 1978. I still remember the chorus: Roule, roule et bouffe du goudron -- Keep on drivin' and gobblin' up asphalt. Holy cow! I remember the tune too!

Also seen along the way: hops fields. They grow really tall! I knew that on an intellectual level, but to actually see a 25-foot-tall crop is impressive.

And one tobacco field. I have no idea what it was doing amongst all the corn and wheat and barley and grapes and hops and orchards and cherry trees, but looking across a little vale, I saw a piece of equipment that looked familiar. It was that platform thing with the awning (sorry to get so technical). Then I noticed the crop itself. I think they were topping. If they weren't, they needed to.

2 comments:

travis said...

25 feet! Ye gods! I hadn't known that on an intellectual level, and my mind now boggles at the thought.

Anonymous said...

How many bottles of beer would a 25 foot stalk (or whatever it would be called) make -- enough to throw on a wall? :)